-->

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Review: Lucifer's Daughter by Eve Langlais


Published Date: August 9th, 2010
Finished Date: October 14th, 2011
Publishers: Liquid Silver Books
Format: eBook
Series: Princess of Hell #1
My Rating: 3.5/5
Blurb from Goodreads:
Being Lucifer’s daughter can be hell.


Hi, I’m Muriel, the only white sheep in a sea of black ones, and a virgin to boot. I am determined to wait for love, but my dad, more commonly known as Lucifer, just wants me to stop being an embarrassment. I’m hoping the hunk that I met in my bar will turn out to be the one–just looking at him makes my insides melt like marshmallows over the coals of hell, but trusting is hard when it seems everyone I get close to ends up trying to kill me.


Not only am I dealing with an extreme case of lust, there’s a new threat in hell, one my dad says to ignore. Something easier said than done since it seems everywhere I turn demons are trying to kill me. But I’m okay with that, because one thing I’ve learned being a princess of hell is that sometimes I have to grab a demon by the horns and slap it around a bit.


A rebellion in hell, demon assassins and scorching kisses, could my life get any more interesting?


My Review

LOL. That's the only word that can describe this book, cause seriously, Langlais is one hell of a joker. She is HEE-larious.

Satana Muriel Something (oops, forgot) is the daughter of the devil himself. One of many actually, and so naturally, she has some serious magical powers stored inside her. Oh, and naturally, she likes pink. Ugh, gayness.

Anyway, she didn't want daddy dearest, or anyone else, running her life, so she exitted hell and opened up a pub - a pub that supernaturals frequented. So therein brings our male protagonist, Auric, into the picture.

Muriel meets Auric and 2 of his hot buddies in her pub and when she first set her eyes on him, her body reacted in ways that she is unfamiliar with. See, she wants her very first time to be with someone special, someone whom she loves, so she was shocked, apprehensive, and a little high all at the same time. But of course daddy doesn't like that much. He'd much rather prefer to see her get laid before her marriage, do some dirty sinnings to up her reputation as his daughter. But that is not the point.

Back to the main story, Auric meets Muriel at her pub, and starts asking questions about the owner of the pub, who was rumored to be the devil's own daughter. Muriel is wary of this, as she should be, but her body just loves to betray her when this hot man comes near. Auric is a kind of mystery at this point; He's not a man of many words, and whenever Muriel tries to ask him about him, he kisses her and that makes her lose her train of thought. (ok.....)

However, things are not looking so good in hell. Daddy's facing a rebellion that actually looks like it does stand a chance of facing Satan off, and betrayals within his kingdom starts to reveal themselves. Muriel wants to help, but 1) Daddy says he doesn't need her help, and made her promise to not interfere, stay at home, and be good. 2) Auric's been captured because of her, and she has to find a way to get to him, before her captors rip her beloved from her even before they have a chance to pursue their happiness together.

END of summary.

To be honest, the story was only so-so, nothing amazing or attention-grabbing. Sure, there were the surprises, hardship, steamy sex, happy moments, stuff like that, but...well, it's not very original, is it? Muriel can fight well, is very gay with her pink outfits and furry boots; Auric also fights well with his wicked blade (which Muriel uses, or should I say, Langlais uses often to make sexual innuendos) and is dropdead gorgeous - according to Muriel. And together, they sure do make for a formidable pair. But how many times have I seen that already? Oh riiiight, in every PNR-UF book that I've read.

Muriel, on top of the gayness that I didn't particularly like, was a lot of talk and little action. We only got to see snippets of her fighting. Only at the end was there any real action. It was cool, so it kinda made up for the front. Auric was a little too feisty in the beginning for my taste. I like my boys broody and reclusive. Typical, but well, DEAL WITH IT. He talked a lot, so I didn't like him. LOL. Ok, I sound shallow. But hey, book boyfriends are supposed to be perfect.XP Aaand, he always kiss Muriel to stop her from questioning him. First few times, uhh ok. Many time later, just fucking let your girl talk, man! Sorry for the language.

They got together after day three. Like really the "He is the one for me" together. That kinda bugged me. So just saying.

Now to my favourite part. THE HUMOR. ROMUH. Ok, now, I'm just going to spam quotes. They are hilarious, but if you want to experience the full impact of the those one-of-a-kind, ultra memorable L.O.L. moments, then DO NOT read any further.

Hilarious quote 1: ...indulge in the horizontal tango. I somehow found that supremely funny...

Hilarious quote 2: I looked at the warehouse-type building in front of us with nary a sign of a restaurant to be seen.

“Is it a secret restaurant?” I asked.

“No, it’s called my kitchen,” he said, unlocking a heavy-duty, steel door. Ouch. Lol.

Hilarious quote 3: “I’ve dealt with demons before,” he said, pulling out a sword from behind his kitchen counter. I had to admit being impressed–his sword was long, shiny, and hard. Wait, that didn’t sound right. Needless to say, he had a big one; and judging by the way he moved it, he also knew how to use it. Damn, I was even hornier than before. Wow, that horny? Dude, you need to see a doc.

Hilarious quote 4: After a few rings, a recording came on. “Sorry, but all the lines to Hell are currently busy. Your call is unfortunately not important to us, and we will not be keeping you in queue. Call back again at your own peril.” Cackling, maniacal laughter sounded, followed by a click. You're not going to earn a good patronage this way, woman.

Hilarious quote 5 (And one of my personal faves): “Bloody damn nervy of them to take you like that,” blustered my father. “When I got to the bar, your man here begged for help to go back and save you. Of course, he looked like shit, so initially I said ‘no’.

Auric rolled his eyes. “Actually, what you said was, ‘Boy, right now you’re more useless than a third fucking tit."

If you don't like PNR-UF books to start off with (which is weird, cause you are reading this review), then you should actually try this one out just for the sake of the humor. It's totally worth it.

Random musing (which you will not get if you haven't read the book):

At the last part where Muriel tried to call Bambi to get her to open a portal to hell, Bambi's message specifically told her to not go to hell to help out in quelling the rebellion. But Lucifer said that she was the first one he would call cause she was one of his best fighters. So...is Bambi acting on her own accord, or is daddy lying? LOOPHOLE!

My Rating
                                   
(I feel so torn about the rating..The plot's a 3, but the humor warrants a 4!!)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

A Bookalicious Story is now an award-free zone! Thank you for thinking about me tho, really!

I love comments. :) I may not be able to reply every single comment, but know that I read and appreciate every one of them. Thank you!

Cyp's Abbreviation Dictionary

DNF = Did Not Finish
HEA = Happily Ever After
PNR = Paranormal Romance
UF = Urban Fantasy
YA = Young Adult

Erotica Reference

BDSM = Bondage/Discipline, Dominant/Submissive, Sadism/Masochism
f/f = female/female
m/f = male/female
m/m = male/male

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...